April 10, 2013

Wednesday 8:40 PM — FINISHED!!!

I have been very quiet lately because I have been spending many, many hours on a translating project. Years ago I translated a book of letters by St. Gianna Beretta Molla, which was published by the Daughters of St. Paul. Two years ago, her husband Pietro died, and now the sisters want to publish a complete book of his and her letters together.

This is the book I translated before, published in 2002. It is now out of print, but I am glad that Pauline Books will be publishing a new edition containing the letters of both husband and wife.
I have been working on translating Pietro's letters (and the 64 pages of introductions, prefaces, etc. etc.) for about three months. I have been letting just about everything else slide, especially as I realized I had delayed too long in starting the project, and this time I had a deadline (and I missed it). It took longer than I had expected. But I just finished the last punctuation mark and sent the book off to the editor.....

Whew.

I do have to say that it was a very interesting and moving task. The love between the husband and wife was so deep and tender. I could hardly imagine what it must have meant to Mr. Molla to lose his wife after only 7 years of marriage and then to have to go on living without her for almost 50 more years. Then I had to think about how incredibly happy they must have been to be reunited when he got to heaven.

Well, time to get some rest finally. In the next few days I intend to put up some other posts with pictures of all the events that have transpired while I have had my nose in this translation. I feel like I can start a new life now!

No comments:

Post a Comment