April 17, 2013

March 2013

My first sewing project for a child

Here is the first child's outfit I have sewn—a dress for Molly, in her "fav'wite cowors." The day I finished it, I was babysitting early in the morning, and the kids were still asleep. So I had to leave the dress there to surprise Molly when she woke up. Pictured below is precious little Sleeping Beauty herself!




 When I am at their house, I always enjoy seeing this handprint stone the kids made in 2010. Inside each pair of hands you can see the child's age when the print was made in wet cement.



Girls' getaway in Versailles


One weekend my friends Margaret and Mandy and I went to Versailles, KY, to stay at a bed and breakfast and shop all the little shops in that quaint town. I wish I had taken photos of some of the neat stores we browsed in.
We had a wonderful time. Here we are having lunch at the B&B with a nun friend.

St. Joseph's Day

I have a special devotion to St. Joseph, and I always get excited when his feast day comes around on March 19th. 


I made a little altar in my office that day. This statue I bought in 1994 with my first paycheck once I got out of college. I bought it at the Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura, CA. It was all of $4, but I really like it. I keep it on my desk all the time. St. Joseph has helped me to find jobs and housing.




With my friend Tamara, I went to Mass at the nearby Abbey of Gethsemani. The above picture was taken a couple of days later, but you can see how the trees were beginning to bud already.


Entrance procession
View from the choir loft


The abbey church is very plain, but there is a very peaceful and contemplative atmosphere. On solemnities they have Mass at a different, later time, and there is wonderful incense and beautiful chanting, some of it in Latin.


In the evening, some friends and I drove to Louisville, to St. Martin of Tours parish, to take part in a special St. Joseph's Day Vespers service and then an Italian meal in the parish hall. This sign greeted us at the door.
"Welcome to St. Martin's Restaurant."







The hall was decorated in Italian style. Pasta, bread, salad, wine, and dessert were on the menu.










They even had a St. Joseph Table, a Sicilian custom which I love.


VIVA SAN GIUSEPPE!


Easter Vigil

The choir and I practiced hard for Holy Week and Easter. Here is the fire from the Easter Vigil at Guardian Angels in Louisville.




"Lumen Christi!" "Deo gratias!"

We read all the readings and sang all the psalms.

And then the great Alleluia broke out....

A young woman was baptized and confirmed, received her First Communion, and (with her husband) received the sacrament of Matrimony at this Mass.






This is our beautiful church.



The end. (For March)




3 comments:

  1. You amaze me at how active you are! My goodness - you stay busy. Excellent job on the little dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me at how active you are! My goodness - you stay busy. Excellent job on the little dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The princess approves of her dress ;) You do stay busy! And I want your camera. The end.

    ReplyDelete