April 17, 2013

Colonial Days in Bardstown

This past weekend, there were three days of historical events in Bardstown. There were many different activities and things to see. I went out Saturday morning to see the vendors' tents, and this is what (and whom) I saw.

In this first photo, a lady wearing what I now know is a stovepipe bonnet (I couldn't have told you that in January!) is walking with her husband, who is carrying his rifle. In the background is the historical mansion called Wickland, where there was to be a ball in the evening.


Love that powdered wig! I should add that it was rather chilly that morning, so people were bundled up in warm period-correct clothing.


You really meet the most unique and interesting people at these events! LOL


This photo is not supposed to be here, but I can't seem to get rid of it! It is repeated later in the post, in the right place.
Looking through the vendors' tents, I came across an undecorated bonnet that I just had to have. The price was, ahem,  outrageous, but I decided it was an investment for my future. :) I took it home and decorated it myself. (Decorated bonnets are far more outrageous.) I was so delighted with it! I just pinned the decorations on so I can change them next time if I want to.



Wow.






Wickland, site of the ball. We went inside.....




A lady and her gent take a break in the parlor


Belles of the ball! Stephanie, Mandy, and Ann


With Mandy's husband Peter


The mansion provided great photo ops!





Some of our companions. We remembered some of these people from the ball in January.




Lovely dresses, lovely dances....



And those mirrors!


Do I spy Abraham Lincoln?



What elegance!


A nice gentleman we met




A great time was had by all!






















6 comments:

  1. JMJ
    Thanks Ann, I really enjoyed reading all your new posts! Looks like you had a great time. This year Dale and I celebrated our 20th ann. of coming into the Church. He was Baptized and we both received the other Sacraments, such a wonderful blessing to be a part of His Church.

    God bless,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a wonderful anniversary, Cindy. Congratulations to both of you!

      Delete
  2. I meant to ask you how this went! I happened to drive past it myself and wanted to stop by with the boys but time would not allow it. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice it was close to home for you :) The pictures are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ann! I loved catching up on your posts and seeing your great pics. I think I too must subscribe to your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be honored, friend... I mean, honoured! :)

      Delete