September 4, 2013

Things You Don't See in Kentucky

My coworker Joe had told me repeatedly that we HAD to go to Pike Place Market while we were in Washington. Luckily, our hosts wanted to take us there, too. The first stage of the outing was taking the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle, which takes about an hour.

I had been on a ferry once before, about 25 years ago, but I regret to say I barely remember it, so for me this was almost like a first. I was fascinated watching the cars driving right into the belly of the whale, so to speak.


As for me, I was on foot, so I just walked right on. They don't charge you for taking the "cruise" over from Bremerton to Seattle. They only charge you on the way back! How odd.

There were several levels, and both indoor and outdoor seating areas. I sat outside and enjoyed the views, the wind, and the sun. I saw other people sitting inside working on laptops. I guess they live there and this is just their daily commute? I can't imagine that.


People were holding up food for the birds, who would swoop down 
and peck it right out of their fingers!

Catching sight of the Seattle skyline


The famous "needle"

As we were docking...




Signs I don't typically see at home....

Another thing I don't remember ever seeing before....

And here is the market! What gorgeous flowers. 

Here is the famous fish market I had heard about. Unfortunately I didn't catch a picture of the fishmongers throwing the big slippery fish back and forth. I did see them doing it, though. 
I don't know how they don't drop them.


Well, I didn't see any octopus hanging around, but this sign was intriguing.


Here we are shopping: Emma, Tamara, Flannery, Ann. We were with our friends Josh and Katie (and Joseph Cesare, who got lost in the crowds of thousands of people, yikes).

We saw these adorable tea sets for sale. Aren't they cute?


We thought this was a statue—until it suddenly leaned down to shake hands..... gulp.

We thought maybe it was a motion-sensing machine, 
but then it jerkily put on some shades and posed with Emma. Hmmm.

I loved these colorful arrangements of garlic and peppers. There was fresh fruit of every kind, too. 

Here they are making fresh mozzarella.

Katie, Emma and Flannery checking out a sale...

In the flower market, you could buy these gorgeous bouquets for just $5 apiece! Unreal.

You didn't believe me?

Visiting the market was a lot of fun. But there were huge crowds of people and it was so, so noisy. I was glad to have the relaxing ride back on the ferry. We had to rest up for a very busy week. We had no idea then just how busy it was going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment