January 24, 2013

My Newest Obsession

Just about 3 weeks ago I happened to find out that there is a(n) historical ball being held Jan. 26 at a historic home in Louisville called Locust Grove. www.locustgrove.org

All of a sudden I was fired with a new obsession. I had to find out everything about all things Regency. I am ashamed to say that I spent hours every night drooling over Regency dresses online. This is the site I liked the most: Regency dresses

I am going to the ball with my friends Peter, Mandy, Stephanie, and Des. I wanted a dress, and I bribed Stephanie, telling her I'd help her make one if she would come with me to the ball. It didn't take much convincing.

I knew Stephanie's sister Siena had made herself a Jane Austen dress last summer, and I loved it. So I asked her what pattern it is. She said it was really easy. Here it is: Burda Josephine pattern We are making the simpler dress with the short sleeves.

So last weekend, Stephanie and I went to a workshop at Locust Grove on how to create an authentic look (costume and hair) for the Jane Austen time period. Then we rushed over to Siena's house and worked hard on a dress for Stephanie and one for me.

Here is Siena with her adorable Alexander, who really, really wanted to help:


But while he was napping, we quickly got to work.




Here Siena is working on my dress.



Siena and Stephanie working on my dress.




Here I am sewing with great concentration!

We tried to take pictures of the finished products, but by that time, my camera battery was dead. So you will have to wait till after the ball to see pictures of what we created. In the meantime, I have found us long gloves and fans, and have made a little matching sack purse to go with Stephanie's dress. We are also busy investigating and trying Regency hair do's. We simply can't wait for the ball.





1 comment:

  1. Have fun! Post a picture as soon as you get one, OK? :) The suspense!

    ReplyDelete