January 28, 2013

Le bal!

So, the long-awaited ball day finally arrived. I had to take everything with me for the whole day. Let's see. Gloves, fan, dress, shoes, stockings, safety pins, curling irons, bobby pins, needle and thread, ribbons, pearl necklaces... the list went on and on. Here is the lovely fan from Fatima which my coworker lent me for the ball. Oh, and my gloves.



In the afternoon Stephanie and I went to Locust Grove for a dance lesson. Most people showed up in jeans and tennis shoes for this. (I say this because it was amazing to see the same people later that evening, all dressed up.)

I had a really hard time catching on to these dances. We did one medieval circle dance, however, which was a mime of horses pawing the ground and stamping. I found this one to be extremely entertaining.

Then Stephanie and I went to Peter's and Mandy's house to get dressed. Here is Mandy with her feather decoration in her hair but before she got dressed!


After some hours lacing each other up and curling each other's hair, voilĂ ..... from left to right, Stephanie, Ann, and Mandy. Ready to go!





Lord and Lady Bifone (Lord Bifone was our chauffeur):



We arrived at the location and were greeted by rustic concession stands staffed by pirates, men and women. The food side had a sign: "Pirates' Booty. Cheeses of which we have relieved Her Majesty," and then there was a list of types of cheeses you could have with some bread. Plus there were some sweets, and wine and beer. However, we all went straight to the ballroom. The dances were underway and we didn't want to miss any of them. 

What a feast for the eyes! All these handsome men and gorgeous women! I was more interested in sitting and watching them all than in dancing myself, but I got a good number of dances in, too.


Is that red and gold dress gorgeous, or what? I covet it.



Soon Peter's parents joined us. Here is Peter with his dad (aren't they handsome??) and then the girls with Peter's mom....





There were a lot of patriots around. I saw several men in soldier's uniforms--all of them blue, those damn Yankees. Not a single Confederate in sight. What was that about? I am not used to this in Kentucky.

This gentleman (above) told us an ancestor of his crossed the Delaware with Washington.
More fun



Soon, too soon, the ball was over. Before we left, I had to try on Mandy's cape.









9 comments:

  1. Wow, you all look awesome! Your comment about the Yankees made me ROFL. Whose side are you on? ;) Too bad the videos didn't show up (yet). Anyway, very nice, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whose side am I on? Well, I think having a few rebs around makes life more interesting. : )

      Delete
    2. There is going to be a similar ball in April in Bardstown. I am sure there will be some rebs at that ball!

      Delete
    3. And also, I recently watched the Shirley Temple movie The Littlest Rebel, and you can hardly not want to be a rebel after seeing that! :)

      Delete
  2. You all looked awesome! What a genteel bunch of northerners :) The cape makes you look Mysterious. What exactly is a bifone? It sounds like a device you can both talk and listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, O mysterious commenter.

      Delete
  3. Ann, I loved getting caught up on your blog, and I especially enjoyed looking at these photos - what fun!! I especially like all the refined accessories that went with your beautiful dress - the fan, the gloves. And I must concur with the commenter above - that cape adds a lovely mysterious touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I didn't know the cape would be so popular!

      Delete
  4. An event like this is on the bucket list. Would my knowledge of the waltz or foxtrot come in handy? I hope the southern ladies can do more than just stomp around like horses when they dance. Circle dance???

    ReplyDelete