October 1, 2012

The Value of Friends in My Life





Hello, friend, whoever you are! Welcome to my new baby blog. Lynn is kind enough to have set this up for me, and this is my very first post. I wanted to start on the first of some month, and voila, what is today? The first of October. Pull up a chair in my virtual coffee shop, and let's get back in touch!

My new blog
I don't know exactly what I plan to share on here, or how often I'll write. Probably I'll just post when something interesting happens in my life, something that might interest you. I used to be such a letter writer as a teenager. I still have boxes of the letters I used to get back, particularly from some who are still close friends after all these many years. But I am no longer such a good letter writer.

A couple of years ago I tried Facebook, but I found myself too distracted by it all the time, so eventually I gave that up.

I also prefer to keep my sharings to just a small group of friends, so perhaps this blog will be a way I can keep you better up to date on my comings and goings. I look forward to sharing with you how I am "turning over a new leaf."

Turning over a new leaf
How am I doing it? I think on the outside my life looks rather boring, but behind the scenes, there is always something intense and interesting going on. This year, with the help of some very kind friends, I am making some changes to improve my life--things like exercise, figuring out what I enjoy, taking dance lessons, taking drawing lessons (starting next week--I'm so excited), and investing in some earrings.

But not this leaf :)
But there is one thing I never want to change. As one of my favorite quotes goes:

I count myself in nothing else so happy as in a soul remembering my good friends. (Shakespeare)


This is my very favorite quote about friendship, a new one which I discovered sometime this past year:
  
Those who love you are not fooled by mistakes you have made or dark images you hold about yourself. They remember your beauty when you feel ugly; your wholeness when you are broken; your innocence when you feel guilty; and your purpose when you are confused.  (African saying)

So, friend, whoever you are who read this... if you are reading this, most likely it's because, in some way or other, at some time or other, that is what you have been to me. Thank you. And thanks for coming and reading. Come back soon. I hope you'll enjoy my blog.

9 comments:

  1. (Amy Kline)
    Hooray! Welcome to blogdom, dear Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! You are my very first commenter! :)

      Delete
  2. (Tina) This is great, Ann! I'm looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Fr. Robert Fromageot) Hello, Ann, I look forward to your future installments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (tacmom) Ann: this is great! You are brave to step into the blogosphere! I am honoured to be counted among those you wish to bless with your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored that you are honoured, mysterious Canadian friend. :) I know who you are! Isn't it interesting that we got back in touch on this feast day? Remember Fr. Wagner's visit so many years ago?

      Delete
  6. (Lynn B) You are going to have so much fun with this. It's a wonderful creative outlet. Just wait till you get a camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. (GM) Happy Happy Happy is what your blog makes us ! ! ! We are so glad to hear of the "improvements" that you are making in your life. Of course, being Ann Brown's #1 fans, we know that you cannot improve perfection!

    ReplyDelete