October 7, 2012

Kid stuff

I recently took Brendan, 10, Benjamin, 7, and Molly, 4, to see a movie. On the way home, Benjamin, who is like an irrepressible noisy jumping bean, was making all kinds of crazy sounds in the back seat. Finally I lost patience and exclaimed, "Benjamin, stop that! I can't drive with you making all those silly noises back there!"

Not in the least impressed, he quickly and carelessly shot back, "Mom can."

"Maybe she can," I retorted, "but I can't."

Completely unperturbed (and unrepentant), he informed me, "That's because you don't have any real kids of your own."

(As opposed to.... some fake kids of my own?!)

A minute later he was doing it again.

"Benj, stop it!" I yelled. "Be quiet!"

He sighed. "That's why I'm gonna esplode."

*******

A year ago I told the kids I would take each of them out alone if they liked. The boys were excited about this, but Molly said she didn't want to go anywhere without her brothers.

Realizing recently that I had never followed through on this, I brought it up again. Now the boys aren't interested. They want to stay home and play computer games. However, Molly was excited about the idea and said she would like to go out to eat with me--even if her brothers don't come.

"Where would you like to go, Molly?" I asked.

I was expecting her to say Wendy's or Chick Fil-A. But the most unexpected reply was, "Red Lobster."

I was speechless. But when I found my voice, I said, "Red Lobster! Why?"

"Because they have fish," she stated simply.

I was still pondering this when she added, "I was just kidding. I want to go to the Irish Rover."

By way of explanation, her mama tells me that Molly loves fish 'n chips. And, in fact, they do have out-of this-world fried fish at the Rover.

You really just never know what to expect from small people! I didn't even know she liked fish. What a discriminating four-year-old!

3 comments:

  1. Both so funny :)

    Mmm, I am hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real kids can be a pain. Next time, take the fake kids to Red Lobster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Masked Commentator strikes again.....!

      Delete